What is a UserForm in Excel? You can make data entry into an Excel worksheet easier and automate calculations for the user by creating a user-friendly interface with the help of a userform.
How to create a user-form:
- Click on the Developer Tab in the Microsoft Office Ribbon
- Select Visual Basic
- From the Microsoft Visual Basic Window that pops up, select Insert from the menu bar.
- A default UserForm1 is created in a directory called Forms and a form with the Caption UserForm1 appears. If the form is selected which you can know if you see the handles around it, you’ll also see a box called Toolbox which has many icons called controls.
- With the Form selected click on view in the menu bar and select properties window to see another window that displays the properties of the Form.
- Enter a name of the form like ‘frmEmpData’ and a caption like ‘Employee Data’ to make the userform look more user-friendly.
- You can now add labels, text boxes and command buttons on the form by clicking on the controls and then clicking and dragging on the user-from.
- You can set the properties of the controls.
- Next you can write appropriate VBA code which will execute at your command or at run-time. For example, we have added a line of code to the command button to transfer the name of the employee from the text-box to the Excel worksheet.
Watch the Excel VBA training video to understand the details.